What would make Wunderlist better?

due dates and alarms for subtasks

I would like the ability to add a due date and alarm to a subtask as can be done with a task

6,742 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Bob shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

253 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Snape commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea!
        Sdditionally it would be awesome to go deeper and add „assign to“ etc

• AMLWalker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an amazing addition! I currently just set subtasks as main tasks if I need a due date with them. Since they don't show up when the task appears (without clicking into it), I need to be able to see and remember them specifically. It would also be great when receiving assigned tasks. My boss/family member might assign something to me with subtasks related to the main task and it would be great if I could set reminders on the subtasks based on my availability to meet the main task deadline.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a VITAL piece to Wunderlist and is the ONE reason that it is so difficult for me to be able to use Wunderlist as my only task manager!

So this has been requested four years ago and has over 13,000 people supporting it. Why has it not happened?

In addition to the reminders, I would also like to have the task marked complete once all sub tasks are complete.

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For people who manage several projects and not just to-do lists, this is essencial. Please add this.

• Michael Kapner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. This would allow for the creation of projects, where sub tasks could be divided up over time, rather than just checklists with only a single due date option.

• Rafael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea has existed for 4 years, is eternally in the top 3 and nothing happened. How can that be?

• Ammon Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The full feature set needed to address teamwork and collaboration of all varieties is this:

Subtasks are simply tasks (full features, but grouped under a parent task)
        Subtasks can have their own subtasks (no limit to depth or number)
        Tasks can be shared individually
        Tasks can be assigned to multiple people

In the same line of thinking:
        Folders can have infinite sub folders
        Folders can be shared
        (essentially this is google drive for tasks)

I suspect that the reason this hasn't happened yet is because Wunderlist's best quality is ease of use and smart simplicity. In other words, it has an elegant design for both computer and smartphone use. What it does, it does more intuitively than anything else.

In order for them to move on this high level of task and folder customization, they will have to figure out how to do so without compromising those brilliant qualities. I can't speak for them, but I'm certain they have to battle with this issue every time they add any feature.

If they can add all these features and retain the same excellent user interface, Wunderlist will be untouchable. I WANT that to happen, and I believe they can do it.

I personally think some aspects of improved subtasks could be implemented elegantly, like a button on each task that displays/hides its subtasks. The button could display the total number of subtasks the task contains, and be completely absent when there are none. Once the subtasks are displayed, they can be checked off and edited just like the parent task.

There is a variation on this that might be appealing: display on that button how many subtasks have been completed, as well as how many there are total (ex. 5/10). Whether or not completed subtasks disappear or remain visible and checked off, is optional. There are a couple implications here that would need to be addressed, but I think this could be implemented rather seamlessly.

Higher levels of customization (unlimited folders, sub sub tasks, sharing possibilities) should be something that you manually enable in the settings, so as to not overwhelm newcomers (this is a seriously important point) or distract from the simple features. They would still need to be implemented with careful precision to retain the Wunderlist feel, but it would be acceptable to increase complexity in this case because it was specifically sought for by the user. It would make sense to offer this customization only to pro members.

I believe in you Wunderlist!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 12 13

Feedback and Knowledge Base